圣塔的使命. 沙巴体育app is to provide an inspiring and demanding undergraduate education in the liberal arts to students selected for their seriousness of purpose and intellectual promise.
In the mid-1850s, four members of the Universalist Church ventured from St. 劳伦斯 County in pursuit of establishing a 20-acre campus and a new building in the county seat. 带着9美元,近150名社区成员承诺捐赠1万美元, they set out to persuade decision-makers in Syracuse that Canton should be the new home of a theological school with a college of letters and sciences alongside it. 他们知道世界需要圣. 劳伦斯 and, after much debate and deliberation, their dream came true: ‘The St. 沙巴体育app’ was chartered by the State of New York on April 3, 1856, as a Universalist seminary and college of letters and science.
St. 劳伦斯, the oldest coeducational 纽约州的一所高等学府 and home to one of the oldest environmental studies programs in the country, has championed progressive ideas such as critical thinking, 可持续性, and a commitment to equity and inclusion since its founding day. The history of the Laurentian community is that of industry pioneers, 著名作家和天文学家, 政府领导人, 电影明星, 和体育传奇.
然而the history of this space in the North Country includes stories and accomplishments from others who came long before the University was chartered. St. 沙巴体育app occupies the traditional lands of the Haudenosaunee (the People of the Longhouse)/Iroquois Confederacy. The United States is granted continued claim to this territory by the confederated nations (Kanienʼkehá꞉ka “the People of the Flint”/Mohawk, 奥内塔:卡“直立之石的人民”/奥内达, Onondagaono " the Hill Place People " /Onondaga, Gayogo̱hó꞉nǫʼ“大沼泽的人民”/卡尤加岛, Onongawaga“the People of the Great Hill”/塞内加, and Skarureh “the People of the Hemp”/Tuscarora) through a diplomatic relationship beginning with the Canandaigua Treaty of 1794.
- 1856: St. 沙巴体育app is chartered as a Universalist seminary and college of letters and science. 大学成为 最古老的连续男女合校的 纽约州的一所高等学府.
- 1863: 奥林匹亚·布朗是第一位从圣. 劳伦斯的神学院. She later becomes the first woman to be ordained and achieve full ministerial standing recognized by a denomination (Universalists).
- 1863: The Thelomathesian Society is formed as a debating and literary society. In 1894, the club is abolished in favor of incorporating all students into the organization, 成立了大学的学生会.
- 1865: Mary Herrick and Sarah Sprague are the first women to graduate from what was then the University’s College of Letters and Sciences.
- 1869: 一个圣. 劳伦斯的古老传统, “节日树”, 开始, giving students a day off of classes to transplant trees to campus. The tradition morphs into what is today known as Moving-up Day.
- 1876: 鲜红和棕色是学校的用色.
- 1888: St. 劳伦斯’s first intercollegiate sports team—baseball—forms.
- 1899: Amin Beder is the first student from overseas (modern-day Lebanon) to graduate from St. 劳伦斯.
- 1900: 埃本霍尔顿, 1882年毕业的欧文·巴舍勒的小说, is an instant hit and is America’s first best-selling novel of the 20th 世纪.
- 1903: St. 劳伦斯’s first women’s sports team—basketball—forms.
- 1911: 山上的消息, St. 劳伦斯的学生报纸，首次出版.
- 1920年代初: One of the first college radio stations in the country was founded in a pig barn on campus by the physics department.
- 1924: J. 1924届学生金博尔·甘农写道 “母校.在1950年，它被添加到“圣. 劳伦斯“书, 还有约翰·布拉什的《沙巴app》, 1922级, 以及尤金·赖特的《沙巴体育app》, 1949级. 这些歌曲一起构成了传统的圣歌. 劳伦斯的歌曲.
- 1926: 巴舍勒纪念钟被捐赠给圣. 沙巴体育app by Irving Bacheller, Class of 1882. Today, the bells ring every weekday during the academic year at 5 p.m.
- 1929: Nobel Prize-winning chemist Madame Marie Curie is the keynote speaker at the dedication of Hepburn Hall.
- 1929: 欧文D. Young, Class of 1894, is named TIME Magazine’s Man of the Year.
- 1933: Jeffrey Campbell is the first African American graduate of St. 劳伦斯. In 1935, he becomes the first Black Laurentian to be ordained as a Universalist minister by St. 劳伦斯的神学院.
- 1937: The Outing Club is founded, becoming the second oldest in the country behind Dartmouth College.
- 1950: St. 劳伦斯’s men’s basketball team defeats the NBA’s Syracuse Nationals, 69-67.
- 1951: The men’s hockey team hosts its first game in Appleton Arena.
- 1964: St. 劳伦斯’s inaugural international study program 开始 in France.
- 1965: St. 劳伦斯的神学院关闭了.
- 1965: The University acquires the first unit of what is now known as the Canaras Conference Center in Upper Saranac Lake.
- 1969: Higher Education Opportunity Program welcomes its first class.
- 1974: The University’s original building, Richardson Hall, and Herring-Cole Hall are listed on the 国家历史古迹登记.
- 1978: “国际之家”，圣. 劳伦斯’s oldest theme communities and known on campus as “I-House”, opens for the first time.
- 1982: Students embark on the first ever Peak Weekend, originally dubbed “46er Day.”
- 1984: Structures built on campus before 1930 are listed on the 国家历史古迹登记 as “St. 沙巴体育app历史街区.”
- 1987: St. 劳伦斯 pilots the 一年级的计划, one of the oldest living-learning programs in the country.
- 1993: Java仓库打开. Today it’s still one of the only student-run college music venues in the country.
- 2007: 约翰逊科学大厅开放. It is New York State’s first LEED gold-certified building.
- 2021: The Campaign for Every Laurentian raises $230 million, making it the largest fundraising effort in University history.